The Readers’ Thoreau is a network of websites administered by Digital Thoreau.
By registering an account at The Readers’ Thoreau, you consent to abide by the terms and conditions set forth below. These terms and conditions may be modified at any time; please check them periodically for changes. Your continued use of the network after such changes are made constitutes your acceptance of the changes. If you fail to abide by the terms and conditions, your account will be terminated.
The administrators of The Readers’ Thoreau make no warranty that the network will function properly and without interruption, or against the loss of content that you post to the network. You may wish to keep a personal copy of any content that you contribute to any site on the network, including blog posts, forum posts, documents, and comments.
The presence of content in the network does not constitute endorsement of such content by Digital Thoreau. In using the network, you may encounter content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Digital Thoreau does not assume responsibility for content posted to the network or for the impact of such content on you.
If you encounter content that violates the “member responsibilities” enumerated below, you should report the abuse immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a member of the network, you are the exclusive owner of content that you contribute to it, subject to the following exceptions:
- By posting public content to the network (content that is visible to others and that is not password-protected), you grant Digital Thoreau a nonexclusive right to reproduce that content for the purpose of exhibiting the network and its functionality to third parties – for example, at an academic conference, in an academic paper, or on a website intended to provide information about Digital Thoreau.
- By posting public content to the network (content that is visible to others and that is not password-protected), you grant other users of the network the right to quote from your posts in whole or in part for the purpose of engaging in conversation with you in the network.
- On sites in the network that have additional, more restrictive terms and conditions, your rights may be more limited. For example, on a site that serves as the platform for a collaborative project, the terms and conditions may stipulate that your contributions to the project are the property of the project team as a whole.
You agree to respect the spirit of civil conversation and collaboration that the network was created to promote. In responding to comments and other content posted by members of the network, the best way to honor this spirit is to address the content itself, not the creator of it.
In addition, you agree
- not to post, upload, or distribute any user comments or other content that is unlawful or that a reasonable person could deem to be objectionable, offensive, indecent, pornographic, invasive of another’s privacy, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, distressing, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or otherwise inappropriate
- not to violate the copyright of any individual by posting content that you do not have the right to distribute
- not to use the network for any illegal purpose, or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law, including, without limitation, laws governing intellectual property and other proprietary rights, and data protection and privacy
Last updated: 8 February 2014.